Sunday, October 2, 2011

Week 16

Everything in MiaoLi is awesome! Elder Su and I are very blessed to be seeing miracles every day by serving here. Right now we have one particular progressing investigator who is well on her way for baptism! Her name is Sister Tang1. We saw an interesting comparison between her and another investigator, Sister Ye4, who we had lessons the same day. Sister Ye4 is not doing so well, and I don't know if we'll see her again. But they both had a small desire to learn more about the church and to see what we're all about. But Sister Ye4 never developed adaquate faith because she had no works. She wouldn't pray for us, she would read scriptures, all because there was "too much pressure." But Sister Tang1 was willing to try. She's already read past Mosiah in the 3 weeks that we've known her. She prays everyday, and even tries to attend some of our other lessons with other investigators. She's had one major problem, and that is that she needs to ponder more about the differences between having one God and many gods like her culture teaches. But I know that she has the faith to overcome this problem. I love how this Gospel is all about working and doing. It's only when you really want to, and go and act, that you'll get a real testimony of the truthfulness of the doctrine. We had a youth activity that was really special. We had all the youth in our stake go with missionaries to go on a mission for a day. It started out with 1 hour of personal study and then 1 hour of companionship study. In our group we had 2 young women, 3 young men, and 2 other adults that were willing to drive us up to Zhu2 Nan2, where the activity was. Our youth were particularly hesitant and unwilling to work, but as they were more exposed to the work, they all loosened up and served with their heart. It was particularly interesting to see one young woman who didn't really say anything. Her name is Sister Wang2. She said she was dragged there by her leader. But during one particular contact, an a-ma, she opened her mouth for one sentence. She said that she knows that the a-ma's family could be together forever. I felt the absolute power that came with that statement, and I knew the lady could feel the Spirit. She later didn't accept, but I know that we did our part. I was glad to see that turnaround in our young women. I think they all enjoyed it in the end. I know that that small miracle testifies to me that it doesn't matter how complicated your testimony. The simple, heartfelt ones are the ones that have the most power and influence. I know that God loves all His children, and will always help them according the effort and desire of their hearts. Elder Su is an amazing person. He says at first he hated coming on a mission because his friends wanted him to stay. But because he came, his mission changed him a lot. Right now I would have had no idea that he struggled about coming on a mission. He plays the Di2 zi5, or Chinese Flute! Whaaa! So you can imagine that I"ve been playing a lot of Dizi. It's really fun. He's also learning Viola, so it's a fun trade. He's a great person. He's patient with my weaknesses, and is always trying to strengthen his own. I've learned a lot from him as we discussed together. We found 9 investigators last week! I'm so excited! I hope that we'll get a good chance to see every one of them progress. On Friday I found an older man, in his 70's. He's Buddhist. And usually by that age they're pretty set in stone about their life philosophies. I've found that the older they are, they are either more prepared and softened to the word, or hardened and prideful. And he was definitely more prepared. He said that me, being a representative of a "true" God, was his savior. He said that such a young man telling an old man about religion humbled him. He stopped in the middle of the street and turned off his motorcycle. He lives a long ways away, but I know that he'll progress. I can't wait for conference next week (for us)! I hope everyone enjoyed hearing the prophets and apostles. I've already heard some great stories about how their prayers were answered through the words of the prophets. And wow! A new Provo Temple? That's amazing! I can't wait to see it when I get back! I love you all! I pray for you every day! Love, -Elder Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment