Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week 5

Hey everyone! This week has gone by sooo fast. At first I didn't believe it, but it seems like I've been here for months, but yet only days. That doesn't make too much sense...but it does to me.

So I have been changed schedules, but not branches. I'm still in the international branch. There is probably more racial diversity than I've seen within these few weeks than I have in my whole life. It's great! It's great to see so many people from so many different places, all wanting to serve the Lord.
I got my travel plans. I'll be going to LA=>Taiwan on the 26th of July. The Elder Slawson, the elder who is also going to Taiwan in my branch, didn't get his visa in time, so I'll be the only one going to Taipei. There will be 2 other elders going on my plane, but then to Taichung.

Thank you all for your letters. Every single one helps me a lot. It's great to see how everyone is doing. I also get very well chosen snacks. :D Thanks.

Anyway, this week's fireside was great. We had a talk by W. Blake Sonne and his wife. He's part of the presidency of the MTC. Sister Sonne talked about how Heavenly Father always has His eye on you, how we don't have to worry about what happens, because He is always guiding those who trusts Him. (Hey, Consider the Lilies is playing here in the laundry room. Those lyrics almost go exactly with my last sentance.)
Brother Sonne talked for most of the time. His talked was centered around The scripture in Helaman 10:4-5, where it tells that Nephi, the son of Helaman, has great power, and why he is given that power. He is mighty in word, deed, faith, and works. And this is because of his obedience, asking the Lord's will, not seeking his own life, and not fearing the people. I hope I can strive to be able to strengthen those attributes in my own self. I think I can do better at trusting in myself less than trusting the Lord. Although I take time to pray morning and night, for meals and study sessions, for devotionals and meetings, I still feel like I don't spend enough time listening to the Spirit in my daily life. I feel like once I pray, I just get up and do whatever I want. I need to remember that the Lord promises to tell us all things we should do.

This past week we learned how to make a language study plan. It's been hard, but I've been trying to learn ten words a day, reviewing often and moving on. I think it's working. I feel that I can express myself better as I teach people (not lessons) and to get around easier. Sometimes personal study gets frustrating -- I just want to focus on the language, because I feel that that is what I need -- that's what's keeping me from more success. But I know that building my personal testimony will do so much more. By building my own testimony, the Spirit can then witness to anything I say, and that's the most important part.

For Prep days we play piano and sing. I love my district. They all love praising the Lord through song and through sharing their testimony. We've come so close, and it's hard to leave them just next week. An elder from Taiwan, Elder Chu, already left last week, and we've all missed him already. I know these will be friendships that last forever -- especially since most of them will end up at BYU or somewhere around here.

Thank you all, again, for your support. I am really grateful for each letter and present you give me. I feel so blessed.

Best of luck,

-Elder Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment