Sunday, July 31, 2011

Week 7 - First email from Taiwan!

Hey, just so everyone knows, I got here very safe and sound.

The trip was great! 24 hours of travel time actually seemed pretty fast. On my first plane to Detroit, I talked to this methodist missionary named Cosme, originally from the Phillipeans . He is awesome. He's very open to new ideas. I shared the first lesson with him and left him a Book of Mormon. We also switched emails and he said he wanted me to write an article for a self-run internet publication describing me as a Mormon missionary. I talked to my Mission President, President Grimley about it, and he said they would check whether or not I could. I think that would be a wonderful opportunity.

Taiwan is amazing! I remember a lot from 5 years ago since I was here, but there's still a lot to get used to. I guess I'd thought about it before, I never realized I'd be in mega-busy urban town, with cars everywhere.

My very first day we had Orientation with the mission office, the Mission President and his wife, and the Assistances to the President. We just talked about how everything would work around here. We ran to the ChenKaiShek Memorial for our excercise. We ate out at wonderful vendors. We had fruit sandwiches and other breakfast sandwiches. Oh yeah. The food I can definitely get used to.
At the end of my first day, we had 2 hours of contacting. My temporary companion was Elder White, who has been out about a year. It was only then when I realized, "oh....this is what I'm doing for 2 years." And it was hard -- we never practiced contacting in the MTC, so I never knew what to say. But through listening and observing I was able to try it myself. Elder White also had me Dan Jones for a bit. Dan Jonesing is....interesting. The motto around here is to talk to everyone. But this isn't the way I'd normally think of it. It's when you stand up and just preach to everyone, like they did in the olden days, and just preach the gospel. But of course we made it modernized and did it with a megaphone. They said they don't do it very often, but it helps you break out of your comfort zone. So I did it for about 5 minutes. Oh yes. Welcome to Taiwan.

I think the hardest thing for me has been contacting. I'm usually not one to go out and talk to random people, especially if they don't like me, and I can't even understand them sometimes. But it's not my work -- it's the Lord's. Sometimes the Lord requires things of us that will stretch us. In fact, he always will. That's His purpose; making us grow and become better people is why we're on Earth. But I've gotten the hang of it a little. I was reading in 2 Nephi chapter....13? I'm not sure, but it described how the Jews were the only people that would kill our Lord, Jesus Christ. Others would have seen the miracles and repented. But since this had to be done, the Lord was sent to the Jews. But it just testified to me that some people, no matter how well I teach or represent the Savior, will still not accept me or my message. But some people will see the miracles and repent. And my job is to find those that will soften their hards.
The next day was also some orientation. We went to the dedicatory prayer site of Taiwan, where the island of Taiwan was dedicated for missionary work. We offered our own prayers to the Lord for our dedication for our missions to bring souls to Him.

I think it's been hard to let the Spirit really guide me, because I'm just afraid that I won't completely understand them or that I'll disturb traffic or whatever excuse I have. But now that I've gotten more used to it, I feel I can listen more intently to really find those that are ready.

I've met so many people I know here. I ran into Matt Seibert on day 2. He's doing really well, and his Chinese is really awesome, too. I also have seen Sister Van duren, Wai Gong and Wai Po (grandparents), Si4 Gu1gu1 (my aunt), and the Chen's, who came to our house one time in Utah. I've been blessed to be able to see so many people I know. I know that the Lord provided that comfort and support for me here.

I've been assigned to the JinHua Area, which is right where the mission home, temple, church, and distribution center is. It is also the area where my grandparents and aunt go to church. I'm also in charge of the English ward of our mission, so we go to two sacrament meetings.

My companion is amazing. His name is Elder Hubrich (Hughbrick). He's from Kaysville, UT. He was in the Davis Marching band on the trombone, and he's going into physics at USU. He's been out a year now, and is really a great person. I also have a second companion, Elder Li, who is leaving today to his transfer area. He's from Taichung. He's such a great guy, a bit silly and exaggurated at times, but it helps me be a little more relaxed and comfortable. I'll send pictures of them next week.

On Saturday I attended my first Baptism here! It was for an 82 year old man who was just amazing. He bore his testimony to us after he was baptized, and you could tell he was prepared. He bore his testimony in Chinglish -- I mean true Chinglish. Every other word switched languages. There was a couple caucasian missionaries that don't speak Chinese, and I'm sure they got a kick out of it. He talked about becoming a new man, even at a good age of 82. It was truly a blessing to see the fruits of our labors so quickly after getting here.

Each day is so tiring, but I know the Lord is sustaining my body. Each night I just plop on my bed and I"m out until the next morning. The work is hard, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Best of luck to all. My next letter should be a bit better organized.

Love,
-Elder Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment