Monday, July 4, 2011

Week 2

This week has been wonderful. There have been some ups and most downs, but it's all been great.

I can see why people don't like the food here. It seems to get really repetitive, even though it's still different every day. It just seems all the same.

My district has continued to amaze me. They are full of wonderful people who all want to learn more of the gospel, and who want to be able to teach more effectively. We all help each other with our languages. I already feel that I've learned so much Chinese. We haven't really focused on Chinese yet. In fact, we're encouraged not to take personal study time to study our language yet, but rather focus on the Gospel. But nevertheless, my Chinese has improved. I feel more comfortable with it, and I know that I'm learning a lot.

One lesson that I've learned is that I have really underestimated the Book of Mormon. My teacher taught us that we can teach the first lesson even with 1 Nephi 1. Before, I would have thought "that's no good, get them a good scripture. Like this one." But I know that the Book of Mormon has enough power that one can gain their own testimony of it with any verse. Any scripture can influence people and draw them closer to Christ.

We were priviledged to have Jenny Oaks Baker come for our Sunday Fireside. She performed for us as well as talked to us about her experiences, and how they've drawn her closer to God. This was a wonderful experience for me, to still have that testimony that music can still draw us closer to God.

But speaking of music, last week I had an amazing TRC experience. TRC is when volunteers come and allow missionaries to come teach them. Usually they act as investigators or inactive members, but this time they let us teach the volunteers as themselves. This allowed us to really fit our lesson to the member's needs. My member's name was Mo. He's a Polynesian that works at Nordstrom in Orem Mall. For respect to Mo, I won't mention very much about his situation. But I know that from the lesson, we increased all of our testimonies. That day I tried to apply what I learned in class, that is, to not be afraid of silence in a lesson. Silence not only gives time for the Spirit to guide your thoughts and actions, it also lets the investigator feel and learn from the Spirit as well. Since I've applied that concept, my lessons have become sooo much better. I feel the Spirit more, and I feel like I know what I'm listening for to gain heavenly guidance. I just hope that I can continue to practice and improve so I can invite the Spirit more in my life and in my lessons. My lesson with Mo has been the highlight of my MTC experience. I have learned to love silence as much as I love silence.

I hope everyone is doing well. God be with you.

Love,
-Elder Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment