Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Week 32

Things here are going great! I think we're having a little bit of a low, when it comes to tangible success. But we're still working hard and doing all we can to help the people here. Elder Braithwaite and I get along quite well. He actually reminds me a lot of Kevin. Someone else in my district, Elder King, reminds me of Chris Pope. I've been blessed to be able to see the things I love in my friends and family in the people that I meet here. I know the Lord is helping me learn to love everyone as if they were your old friends. They are all your brothers and sisters, so there is already that sense of goodness and love in them, as long as you look for it. It's been a little rough trying to get to know the new branch. Our first sacrament meeting was combined with the first branch for the new years, so I didn't know who would be in my branch and who my leaders were. There's been something that has been upsetting me a lot in Taiwan. That is a lot of leaders get so worked up with "Jing1 Shen2 Bing4" or any mental illness. They treat any type of mental illness like a deadly and sad disease, making even depression something to avoid. Some leaders are saying that those with depression don't need to be taught and that they don't need baptism. I...don't know. I'm pretty sure that's definitely not true. But I don't know how to say it in a way that respects their position. Or maybe it's not my place? So far I haven't done anything about it, but that's how I feel. Elder Braithwaite is doing well. I think he's been more affected by our lack of visible success. But I try to set an example to go out to work with a good attitude. I hope I've been helping. I'm praying to try to know how to help him. I think I might need to serve him and show my love more. So far we don't have anyone who has high potential to be baptized. I thought I found 2 this week, but they fanged us on our first visit. It's been hard to have learned to really love them, and then see them so quickly lose their way again. That might be the hardest thing out here so far on a mission. But we're still determined to hit our goals, and to work as hard as we can. I'm so grateful for this opportunity I have to serve the Lord with all my heart, might, mind and strength. Yeah, so TaiDong is....I'm pretty sure just like Hawaii. I would assume is. Maybe few palm trees here, but it's all about the same. The weather changes like crazy. Apparently the combination of a beach right next to a mountain makes the clouds move extra fast, so you can never predict the weather here. I've been super grateful that my companion, Elder Braithwaite, already knows the area. I can't imagine someone trying to whitewash an area -- that would be so stinkin' hard! We call the Taidong area the Taidong Taiwan Mission, because we never see anyone else. All our exchanges are just in Taidong, and we never have reason to leave. It's kinda fun. We get to spend a lot more time with our district. New Years went great! Except....I don't think they do too much here. We ate at member's houses, which was really nice. Our branch is really nice. This last week we only had to buy 2 meals. Yay! It feels weird pulling out money to get full now :P There were a lot of random firecrackers, too. It was my first time seeing firecrackers. They're pretty fun. Speaking of firecrackers, Taidong has a crazy, crazy tradition. Apparently on the...15? of the Chinese new year, they this tradition. Someone volunteers to get paid money by a bunch of people...as long as they get to throw firecrackers at him while he's wearing nothing but shorts and has a little branch to cover his face. They always end up in the hospital. I heard it was 100 years ago or whatnot, the firecracker...was supposed to cure some epidemic in the area or something? I didn't really hear that conversation very clearly. But anyway, maybe this week I'll see a random guy get bombarded with firecrackers.... :S

No comments:

Post a Comment