Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Week 9

These week has been crazy. Sorry if you're expecting a letter back from me – Since I've gotten to Taiwan, it's been hard to figure out exactly how mail here works. I've gotten some stamps now and should have them for sure sent out by today.

This week has been filled with miracles. I got my first 3 investigators. My first one was someone named Lin2 Zi5 Fa1. I just met him by a convenience store. He had 3 bottles of wine next to him, but he was very willing to talk to me. I introduced myself, and just talked a little. We ended up saying a prayer, and after, he said, “...Could you say another one so I can stop drinking?” Oh yeah. No problem. So I said one, and he really appreciated it. We're going to meet with him on Wednesday for the first time. He seems to be really willing and ready to learn. I'm excited. I know the Lord has blessed me with success. I think I feel so much more fire now that I have someone that seems...mine, in a sense. Someone that I've worked with from ground zero, instead of a bunch of people I'm just meeting.

Although people here have been amazing. For example, a lady in my ward named Cielo is from the Philippines. She works for a famous artist named Chen..something. I forgot his full name. But he's even met the Pope. We got to help move his enormous pictures for our service. I wish I had some pictures to send, but maybe next time. But in return he gave us some of his books. He's really good – I was very lucky to have met him.

Cielo also brought us to a place called Din Tai Fung. I think it's a Japanese restaurant, but it's really big here. There's always a huge line to get in. They serve dumplings, baozi's, and other delectables. It was awesome.

So a thing I've noticed is that I'm famous around here. I guess Dad, Jonathan, Mom, si4 gu1gu1 Kyleen, and Jay are just too amazing. I've already gotten countless number of “Wait, you're related to _______, aren't you?” And you know what? I used to just get kind of annoyed, because no one knows me as me – It's always by someone else. But I have really learned to appreciate that. I can now proudly say yes, I am related to them. I guess what was the change? I guess I figured that that's all I do out here. I represent the Savior. In fact, we all do. And I am so proud to represent someone who is amazing. I am proud when people look at me, and see someone else that has brought them joy. This was my small epiphany. Small, but powerful.

This week we get to tune pianos! Yes, that's right. There's an senior elder, Elder Hahn, that tunes pianos and teaches piano as his calling. He said he was sad that his profession might die with him, and so Elder Hubrich said that we would learn how to tune from him, and he gladly accepted. He tunes by ear, and so it's way hard, but it'll be way good!
It's rained here quite a lot, and I don't have real rain gear yet. I had a rain jacket, but that's it. So we were biking with soaking pants and shoes. But it was great. I think the Lord blessed me with the ability to not care when I don't need to, which I'm actually really grateful for. I know if it were a vacation or something, I'd definitely be murmuring.

So yes, it's been great. There have been occasional bad days, where nothing happens, and no one accepts our message. But I know that it's a test of our patience and faith.

Jia1 you2, everyone! I love you!

-Elder Liu

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil -- for Thou art with me. Thy rod and Thy staff; they comfort me.

No comments:

Post a Comment